Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ecuador, Sweet Ecaudor

Four years ago at about this point in the presidential campaign, I was one of the many people making noises about moving to another country--Ireland, England, Canada all seemed like decent possibilities. This year, I am decidedly NOT entertaining such thoughts myself, preferring instead to redirect fears into positive visualizations of an Obama-Biden victory on election night (I can hear the cheers, feel the excitement, even shed an anticipatory tear of joy). But today I found my new home country if ever I need one: Ecuador. 

Why Ecuador (since I know little about it and speak no Spanish)? Here's why: Ecuador has recently approved a new constitution granting inalienable right to nature. Among other things, the new document declares: "Nature...where life is reproduced and exists, has the right to exist, persist, maintain, and regenerate its vital cycles, structure, functions, and its processes of evolution. Every person, people, community, or nationality will be able to demand the recognition of rights for nature before the public bodies."

That's my kind of country.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

OK, you convinced me...I'll try Ecuador instead of Canada...maybe. Except I don't have any cousins living in Ecuador...yet...

Love the tease of a painting - looking for more!

love,

Sarah